Maths is an important life skill. It is an essential element of communication, widely used in society, both in everyday situations and the world of work. We believe that children should have a clear understanding of how mathematics works; be able to reason logically
about their mathematics and have a good grasp of the basic skills required to use their mathematics in given contexts. We see mathematics as an essential part of a child’s learning during their primary school years and one that enables children to thrive in many other areas of the curriculum.
At Broad Square we aim to develop children who:
- Understand the concept of numbers, how to count them, read them and apply their knowledge to understanding large and decimal numbers.
- Have excellent foundation knowledge, including basic skills such as: number bonds to 20/100, division and multiplication, times tables and the relationships between the four operations.
- Are mentally agile. Our children should be confident and fluent with numbers and number patterns.
- Use their mathematical knowledge to solve calculations and problems.
- Apply their mathematics in a variety of situations.
- Are able to explain their thinking clearly and with good reasoning.